After a long day, kicking your shoes off and sitting back with a glass of wine is the perfect way to wind down. The best part about it is that you do not even have to feel guilty after drinking a glass or two. Sure, it tastes delicious and can help you relax, but there are also countless health benefits to wine. When aiming to gain the benefits from your glass of wine, opt for a red. After researching the health benefits, I have compiled the best ones for you. Keep in mind that when it comes to drinking alcohol, moderation is always the key. Keep reading to find out why you should pour yourself a glass and sip on some red wine tonight!
- It increases your life expectancy.
- It reduces your risk of having a heart attack.
- It increases your immune system.
- It reduces your risk of heart disease.
- It lowers your risk of colon cancer.
- It reduces your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It lowers your risk of having a stroke.
- It reduces the likelihood of developing cataracts.
- It helps improve bone density.
- It improves your cognitive function.
These are just a few of the benefits I discovered through research!
Studies and Facts
- According to a Finnish study, wine drinkers have a 34% lower mortality rate than other alcohol drinkers.
- According to Harvard School of Public Health, those with high blood pressure should moderately drink alcohol. They can end up reducing their likelihood of a heart attack by 30%!
- According to a study at Queen Mary University, red-wine can protect drinkers from heart disease since it contains procyanidins.
- According to Amsterdam’s VU University Medical Center, those who drink alcohol moderately are 30% less likely of developing type 2 diabetes than those who do not drink alcohol.
- According to Columbia University, those who drink moderately are 50% less likely of having a stroke related blood clot.
- According to an article published by Nature, moderate drinkers are 32% less likely to get cataracts than nondrinkers. Better yet, those who drink wine are 43% less likely to develop cataracts than beer drinkers.
- According to Stony Brook University, you reduce your likelihood of colon cancer by 45% by simply moderately consuming red wine.
- According to Columbia University, your cognitive function will decline slower if you moderately drink alcoholic beverages.
How much should you drink?
Did you notice a trend in the above study? It is the word moderately. In order to receive the benefits of wine or alcohol in general, you should not over indulge. When it comes to wine, moderate drinking is one to two glasses a night. According to a few studies, women should drink a 4-5 oz. a glass of wine a night while men should drink 2 4-5 oz. glasses a night.
Red wine in moderation is extremely beneficial to long-term health. Overdrinking can lead to negative effects on your body, so avoid excessive drinking on a regular occasion. I love wine. It is the perfect addition to my nightly meal and nothing is better than sitting next to a cozy fire with a glass of wine in hand during the cold months. As long as you are drinking moderately, go ahead and drink up!