I was craving some chicken tortilla soup so I looked up some recipes and found this one. Mine is a little different from here. I made everything from scratch and some products are organic. The whole meal in total would cost someone between $20 – $25 depending on the store and if you get organic produce or not.
Organic Black Beans
1 Jalapeno ( use half if you don’t like it to be a little spicy)
2 Limes (optional)
1 Package of Tortilla (depends how many people there is)
1 Bell Pepper (Green, Yellow, and Red -add great color to the soup)
1 Yellow Onion (or any other type)
1 Cart of Chicken Broth
Chicken (Depends on how much chicken you want and how many people)
Garlic Cloves (I used 3 pieces from one clove)
- Make sure you put the spice together before you do the following. (Dried Cilantro, Ground Cumin, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, and Garlic Powder)
- Prep the chicken by adding EVOO before spreading the seasoning on it. Pre Heat oven for 375. After seasoning the chicken put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- The Chicken after cooked
- The Chicken shredded by two forks
- While chicken is cooking in the oven prep the other ingredients.
- Warm 3 tomatoes in ½ cup of water for 3 minutes in microwave before blending or chopping them.
- Chop up one tomato, ¼ of onion (if onion is big), garlic, and peppers.
- Chop up tortillas vertically and then add EVVO (about 3 T) before putting them in a skillet to pan fry.
- Add EVVO to skillet on medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add Chicken
- Add Tomatoes, jalapenos, onions mix (or you can get Rotel Tomato and Chili in a can)
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste, and chopped tomatoes
- Drain black beans and then add to pot
- Bring Soup to boil then let simmer for a while and it’s all ready to serve! Enjoy!
- You can add cheese, avocado, lime, or anything else you like in your chicken tortilla soup. I added a little bit of flour with water to thicken the soup. If it’s too spicy because of the jalepenos add hot water.
Hope you enjoy!