Breakfast: it’s the most important meal of the day. It jump-starts your digestive tract, waking up your metabolism and giving your body the energy it needs to make it through the day (until lunch, at least!) But let’s be honest, it can be tough to get up in time to throw together a good breakfast before getting out the door. Cereal and milk are easy, but not the most nutritional choice, and fancy omelets require too much time and effort. I’ve found that this avocado and fried egg toast recipe makes for the perfect filling, easy breakfast. It also works well at the end of the day if you ate dinner too early and find yourself craving a late snack with your Friday night Netflix binge.
- Multigrain bread (I recommend a thick-cut to support the toppings!)
- 1 Avocado (depending on the size, you’ll probably only use about ¼ of it)
- 1 Egg
- Salt, pepper, and paprika; add cayenne/hot sauce if you like it spicy
- A sprig of parsley for garnish
- Butter or oil
- 1 small skillet/pan and matching lid for frying your egg
- Start by toasting your bread however you choose. We have a toaster oven, but feel free to toast it in your skillet if you don’t have another option. A little butter should give it a nice, even brown look. Set your toast aside on a plate.
- Crack an egg into a buttered/oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Let the egg cook for a full minute, lid off. After that minute is up, place the lid over the skillet and turn the heat down to low. Leave it to cook while you prep your avocado, about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut your avocado in half and twist the halves apart. Mash as much of the avocado as you plan to use with a fork in a small bowl, about ¼ of the avocado for each piece of toast you plan to make. Spread the mashed avocado on your toast as thickly as you like.
- Check your egg— when your whites are cooked and your yolk looks cloudy, it’s time to scoop it out of the pan. (If you like your yolk super runny, scoop it out while it’s still a clear yellow.) You can use your fork from earlier, or a spatula if you want to feel a little more confident about it. Place your fried egg on your toast, on top of the mashed avocado.
- Now it’s time to season! Grab a pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of pepper, and distribute them evenly over your egg. Sprinkle with some paprika, in a zig-zag pattern if you want your toast to look particularly lovely. If you like spice, add some cayenne or a splash of hot sauce (I recommend Cholula brand.) Throw on a sprig of parsley for garnish if you like, and it’s ready to serve!
Last but not least, enjoy your breakfast. This is a great meal to treat yourself with, or to serve others!